This film demonstrates that there is a biblical alternative for Christians who want to love and support the people of Israel, a theology that doesn’t favor one people group over another but instead promotes peace and reconciliation for both Jews and Palestinians.”
What is this ‘biblical alternative’?
Leaving aside the secular Jewish anti-Zionist writer Norman Finkelstein, let’s look at those Christian leaders giving their opinions.
1) You have Ben White, who seems to think:
- Palestinian Christians should be accepted into Palestinian society specifically because of the violent resistance of some Palestinian Christians to Israel (published in Ismail Patel’s Al Aqsa Journal).
- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was not really denying the Holocaust in 2005.
- The arrest of anti-Semites plotting to blow up a synagogue in New York was a ‘fully controlled threat to our freedoms.’
- ‘The Palestinian Authority is also staffed with “native” West Bank leaders for whom business interests long since trumped fighting for national liberation.’
- One can ‘understand’ racism.
- Hezbollah are a nationalist, not a jihadist party, whom it is acceptable to pray for.
- We should really listen to those who argue that, as God has broken his covenant with the Jews, Israel should not exist.
- When it comes to Jewish religion and politics, Holocaust denier Roger Garaudy is a credible source.
- People concerned about any of the above are ’smear merchants.’
2) Stephen Sizer who seems to think:
- Hilary Clinton’s criticisms of Israel’s Netanyahu government are possibly motivated by hatred for Monica Lewinsky, who is Jewish.
- Bill Clinton wouldn’t dare upset the Jewish lobby.
- Being criticised by the Anti-Defamation League for anti-Semitism is a sign of fidelity to Christ.
- The IDF is composed of “Herod’s soldiers” – Herod being the king who tried to murder Christ as an infant.
- It is acceptable to criticise apocalyptic fundamentalists (US Christians) whilst being paid to do so by apocalyptic fundamentalists (the Iranian regime).
- Sizer’s own trip to give anti-Zionist lectures to the Iranian regime was actually about supporting the opposition within in Iran.
- When it comes to Jewish religion and politics, Holocaust denier Dale Crowley is a credible source.
- People concerned about any of the above should really stop.
- If they don’t stop, set the police on them.
3) Gary Burge who seems to think:
- Unlike Christianity, Judaism has a territorial worldview, which is unacceptable unless you belong to a Judaism with an anti-Zionist worldview.
Surely these are not the experts who will help Christians to develop a more loving and fair attitude towards Israelis and Palestinians.
At the best they are trying to displace one form of lazy political theology with another.